May 9, 2009

PHOTO HUNTERS - In memory

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

more participants here

Living in Waterloo the historical place of the Waterloo battle of June 1815 where Napoleon lost and because of that has changed whole Europe, what else could I show for "in memory" as the Waterloo Battle memorials.

Photobucket

This one is erected for the fallen Belgian soldiers

Photobucket

The Waterloo Lion raised on the battlefield of Waterloo to commemorate the location where William II of the Netherlands (the Prince of Orange) was knocked from his horse by a musket ball to the shoulder during the battle.

Photobucket

Napoleon himself, I think he is the only one who got a memorial for a lost battle ! From Wellington who winned you don't see anything here.

5 comments:

RJ Flamingo said...

These are wonderful memorials. I think my favorite is the lion. Well, of course - it's a cat!:-)

Mine’s In Memory of a great time to be repeated!

Pietro said...

Great memorials, Gattina.
I always think with horror to the innocent and unaware soldiers who fought and died in all the wars. War is really the most perverse mechanism in the world: it really seems a serious and incurable illness of mankind.

Mar said...

I plainly enjoy your pictures, I know I should think more profoundly, but it's the weekend! not playing this week as the theme didn't inspire me. Checked tnchick's site and I get an error...weird thing...

YTSL said...

Hi Gattina --

You got me wondering: How does it feel to live in a town that's most famous for a battle having been fought there?

NitWit1 said...

Great memory selection and history tidbits, too. Love it.

My post:http://cowardscorner-nitwit1.blogspot.com